Windows 2012 R2 no boot failure
I've installed a 30 day review license of ArchiWare Pure for my employer for review. When trying to do a test restore of a Win2kR2 server, it fails to boot with a blue boot failure and a quick reboot.
Since using ArchiWare at home in an all Linux environment, I've never had the need to test on Windows. I'll do another test restore today to get a better error message.
Is there something that needs to be set for the Windows 2012 R2 servers before a backup?
One problem reported by customers with some frequency is a fault in VSS snapshot causing disks to become readonly and hidden. More info here:
As far as I know, there is still no final solution for this issue so you might want to use one of the two known workarounds:
- Start the vSphere Client, and log in to a vCenter Server.
- Select Virtual Machines and Templates and click the Virtual Machines tab.
- Right‐click the Windows 2008 virtual machine for which you are enabling the disk UUID attribute, and select Power > Power Off. The virtual machine powers off.
- Right‐click the virtual machine, and click Edit Settings.
- Click the Options tab, and select the General entry in the settings column.
- Click Configuration Parameters… The Configuration Paramters window appears.
- Click Add Row.
- In the Name column, enter disk.EnableUUID.
- In the Value column, enter FALSE.
- Click OK and click Save.
- Power on the virtual machine.
Following the above links allowed me to recover the test virtual machine,